View Single Post
Old 12-21-2015, 03:42 PM   #9
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Default Re: V8 Total Engine Production

221 numbers and 239 numbers were kept in one numerical sequence each for USA numbers, which were also used on British and I think German units...
Numbers were assigned to all engines (usually engine/trans units) built at factory to running order. Note that this would not cover replacement bare, short, or long blocks, only fully functioning ones with carbs and ignition.
The lists I have list 221 numbers only to 1942, but MANY 221's were built wartime and 221 engines were produced in England until I think 1954, and I have seen occasional numbers on these way beyond the 1942 level...so these can't really be counted until more records appear.
For 239's, you can get a partial but probably almost complete count by looking at the last listed 1948 number...that would be the basic count up from 99-1 in 1939. You can see if you look at '42 and '46 that the wartime numbers are in the count. I think more numbers were used in Germany up to around 1954, and quite possibly Ford built some running replacement motors after '48...they pretty certainly made lots of blocks post '48.
The numbers for 221 I have seen simply end with 1942, numbers for wartime and British postwar production not there. They must exist somewhere!
60's were built for a long time after 1940, and i have NO idea which ones outside of England got Ford numbers and which/when switched to different numberings when sold off to the French.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote