View Single Post
Old 11-16-2021, 11:36 AM   #28
blucar

Default Re: California pcv ??

Retro-fitting a PCV system to a pre smog engine is probably one of the most misunderstood subjects that comes up regularly on many of the old car forums.
When it comes to the pre- 63 Y-block engines, V8Coop pretty well hit the nail on the head with his #8 contribution, with one exception. The '57 T-Bird Y blocks had an open crankcase due to the fact that they were pre '63, that being the year that PCV's became mandatory on all new vehicles.
Some states, namely California passed a law in the late '60's, early '70's called NOX which was a nightmare of knee jerk emission controls that had to be retro-fitted to just about every vehicle on the road.
At the time I had a '57 T-Bird 312, I was very reluctant to cut holes in my T-Bird valve covers. I also had several trucks in my company, three of which were '64 Ford 292 Y-Block V8's. Looking the Ford trucks over the lights came on in my small brain, get a PCV system for a 292 Ford V8 truck, put it on my '57 312. Very simple, I removed the road draft tube from my Bird, installed the fitting shown in COOPs contribution, hooked everything up and took the car to the State Inspection Station, PASSED.
During the years since, I make it a habit to keep my eyes open for '63-64 F series 292's, I harvest the PCV systems and put them away for later use.

Last year I sent one of my Y-Block PCV systems down to Australia for one of the regular citizens here on The Barn for use on his Merc Y-Block.

Hmmmm? Just discovered that the pix V8COOP posted are copies of my pix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57 312 PCV.1.jpg (53.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 57 312 PCV.4.jpg (53.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 57 312 PCV.jpg (41.1 KB, 9 views)