View Single Post
Old 06-07-2021, 05:11 PM   #39
Karl

Default Re: Why so many upgrades??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Anaheim CA View Post
I have lot of respect for those high point show cars. They pay unbelievable amounts of $ for truly original parts and even more to restore original parts to meet ever tighter rules set by judges who weren't even born until a half century after the last Model A rolled off the line. I made a feeble attempt to have my car judged 60 years ago. My scores would would question if my car was even a Model A. I like my car to appear stock to the "Man on the street" but moved on from that and regularly drive them 10,000 miles a year or so.

The technology was a compromise even at the time Model A's were being designed and built. A bone stock Model A will go anywhere mine go but mine go with less vibration, less noise, less shifting and the list goes on.

In 1932 Henry and Edsel built the Model B. It was a Model A engine with bigger bearings, bigger carburetor, different cam grind, partial oil pressure, centrifugal advance distributor, higher compression, synchronized transmission, fuel pump and later in the year a counterbalanced crank shaft The result, 50 horse power, a whopping 25% more than the stock A. The companion V8 quickly utilized insert bearings, oil pressure, down draft carburetor. In I939 hydraulic brakes made their appearance.

Yes, Henry and Edsel modified the Model A. and would continues to do sotoday.

Invite me over to admire your fine point winner in your garage. Tow it to the national conventions but it is unlikely anyone but the judges will get to see it up close.
That's OK. Just go out to the parking lot and look at the rest of the cars parked with mine.

Richard
Anaheim CA
Richard -I certainly don't have a fine point car . Firstly here i am so far away from the home of the Model A I would struggle to assemble all the correct parts . However my car is pretty much as it came from the factory . All the replaced parts on it may not be original to the car but are original to a Model A. I drive my car lots and it performs well. For me a large part of its charm is the fact that 91 years after produciton it still functions as intended and as designed .

There is no doubt that over time cars have improved and changed however for me if I want modern performance I woudn't modify the charm of an original Model A to achieve it -I'd buy a modern car

However as mentioned firmly held opinions on ths possibly drives young people away from our great hobby

Last edited by Karl; 06-07-2021 at 05:18 PM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote