View Single Post
Old 12-15-2020, 02:17 PM   #59
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Brake Adjustment 1936 Mechanical

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybronco1 View Post
John, thanks for those tips. Yes, I agree the front drums should be warmer than the rears if they are grabbing first. So with that said, I assume I should adjust them in such a way that the rears have less drag, meaning the wedge is backed off some and the front brakes more drag or tighter so they engage first. Does that sound right? If so how much drag is too much?
If I were you, for now, I would leave the rears as they are, and just set the drag a little more on both fronts. I usually set the drag at each wheel by giving the tire a hard spin clockwise so that tire is only able to complete about one half revolution before coming to a complete stop.

It's been my experience when trying to set the drag, the brake shoe linings will wear pretty quickly, requiring repeated adjustment after a short drive until the linings wear enough to fit the brake drum curvature more completely.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 12-15-2020 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Clarification of post
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote