View Single Post
Old 12-15-2020, 01:33 PM   #57
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Brake Adjustment 1936 Mechanical

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybronco1 View Post
So a little more on the brake situation. I feel I can't get the adjustment on the wedge right until I get the proper adjusting tool. An open end wrench will only tighten them so much, then slips off and I can't get the last click to go.

Try using a 12" or larger crescent wrench that you can tighten against those adjusters before trying to turn them. An open end or box end wrench that does not fit those adjusters properly will definitely slip

Right now it pulls to the left a little when I hit them quickly, does that mean I need to tighten up the right?

I would suggest setting your front adjuster's so they engage first....prior to the rear engaging. It's possible that the rear brakes are causing your car to pull in either direction. This is exactly what was happening on my '35 fordor with mechanical brakes the last time I had to adjust them. I could not stop the pulling to one side when making quick stops by just adjusting just the front. By adjust the rear brakes properly, I was able to completely stop it from pulling to either side.

Also as someone suggested check the temperature on the drums. The fronts are running cooler than the rears. 95 on front 125 on rear. Are the fronts suppose to do most the stopping or should everything be equal? I would think the fronts would be a higher temp if they are doing most the stopping.

If you are trying to set braking by the temperature of the drums, then it's my opinion the front drums will be hotter than the rear drums.

I hope I connected the rods right. I first tightened up all the wedges so I had about the same drag on each wheel. Then I hooked up the rods by pushing the lever back about 1/32" (which is nothing) in the release direction, not to apply anymore drag on the drum.
I think that's okay initially when you reassemble all the braking components, but for subsequent fine tuning the braking adjusters on the backing plates, I would not disconnect the rods unless adjustment of the rod length becomes necessary,. JMO

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 12-15-2020 at 06:59 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote