View Single Post
Old 06-20-2020, 04:37 PM   #15
19Fordy

Default Re: Installing 40 Rear And Driveshaft

Phillip, I unbolted my spring at the shackles and left it hanging. I did remove the spring spreader. This makes things easier. Gives more room.

Yes, the bolts I am so concerned about are the ones that are safety wired to banjo. It has always been my understanding that those bolts were specially made by Ford with a tight class of fit so that they would not leak. Was also told to never use a tap and die on those threads as you will ruin the tight fit, increasing chance of leaks.

Just clean them a solvent, not a wire wheel or brush.Those bolts are no longer being made by anyone that I know of. I am so neurotic about this that I also stamped each bolt and each hole so that the same bolt would go back in the same hole. I did use Non-hardening Permatex on the threads and gasket surfaces. Not knowing the torques specs on these bolts, I just tightened them up till they were tight.

However, I am quite sure you could use the same bolts in any hole and all would be well as the gasket is in place too.

I think once you remove your rear spring you will have better success as you'll be able to move the rear forward without hitting the cross member. Then, take it slow, and splines will line up.

It took me a full day. Seems like it was easier when we were younger.

Just did a search about those bolts. According to Mike Kubarth who restores 40 Fords you can chase those threads. A "chaser" does not remove metal. He's the guy who really knows. Read about it here on last post. Bolt torque is also discussed. Snug as a bug in a rug seems appropriate!
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...que+tube+bolts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9003b.jpg (53.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9198b.jpg (52.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9608b.jpg (63.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9195b.jpg (59.4 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 06-20-2020 at 05:18 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote