View Single Post
Old 11-19-2020, 10:02 AM   #15
Mister Moose

Default Re: Jumping a 6 volt battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
the automotive stores, and Amazon, sell a jumper battery that you can charge with an AC power and carry in your trunk. It is a lot smaller than a regular battery and a lot lighter. It will allow you to start the car up to 30 times between charges. They are 12 volts so use the advice of others regarding starting a 6 volt car with a jump from a 12 volt battery. You can use it on your modern car or truck too. See https://www.amazon.com/TACKLIFE-T8-C...s%2C187&sr=8-3.
I've seen these but never used one. Clearly lithium has higher energy density and better self discharge rates. I don't know and haven't looked into the discharge curves for various current rates. In other words, with a battery like this rated for 18AH, you aren't going to get all that rated current when drawing at 250 amps. AH ratings are based on a standard 20A discharge rate. Even if it's a magic battery, that gives you max 4 minutes of cranking, which under any normal circumstances should be plenty. I'd be wary of the claim for 30 real world starts off a single charge though. Also performance drops off dramatically in the cold.

Right now my engine starts in a 1/4 turn, but there are days after it sat when it gets moody and cranks for many many turns before I can get a start. (In the past I had a sticky fuel float valve) That's why I'm asking about a jump start should it ever arise.

Thanks all.

I don't have a trunk, but wouldn't mind getting one some day. In the meantime.... getting my crank nut replaced would be a good idea too.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote