View Single Post
Old 01-18-2023, 08:29 PM   #6
Flathead Fever

Default Re: Throw out bearing noise

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac512 View Post
I wonder if it's hitting one finger before the other two. It looks like it shakes the T.O. assembly as it just touches the finger. It doesn't sound like a bearing noise to me. Did you happen to measure the finger heights when installing the clutch? Maybe you can see enough through the inspection hole to check...

Terry
I was thinking exactly the same thing. I've replaced hundreds of T/O bearings at work and that one doesn't sound like the typical T/O bearing noise. It's almost like one clutch finger is hitting it, instead of spinning it. Then the noise goes away when the other two fingers contact. Is it spinning at the same speed when it first contacts compared to when it is pressed further? Like Terry said see if you can see those fingers contacting the bearings with an inspection mirror, without the engine running. This is why it is so important to measure the clutch finger height after it's bolted to the flywheel, especially the adjustable ones. It's fast and a lot easier than having to pull it all apart again. We used Timken and BCA bearing at work on a fleet of 400 vehicles, 75% of them manual transmissions. I'd trust either one of those bearings, especially the Timken bearings. It could very well be a faulty T/O bearing, but it sounds different than what I was used to hearing. It's strange you say it only makes noise at it just contacts, normally, a bad bearing would be making noise the entire time it's spinning. A bearing that noisy would be really rough spinning it by hand. I don't know if you can get in there with your fingers or maybe a tool and see what it feels like. The bearing should have a manufacturer name and bearing number stamped into it. I'm curious what manufacturer it is. Your engine sounds really nice if that makes you feel any better.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote