View Single Post
Old 03-12-2023, 08:12 PM   #14
v8fordman

Default Re: Replacing oil pan gasket - what else should I do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke3 View Post
Be sure to check the condition of the four expansion plugs in the oil pan rail if your engine has those. You can tell if your engine has the plugs by looking for the two bulges on either side of the engine block by the pan rail. Check for signs of corrosion, bulging or leakage.
If it is a true '40 engine, it will have the expansion plugs. If it is a '41 style with a raised deck, it will not.

Also, as DavidG points out, the most likely place it is going to leak is at the rear main bearing cap unless you are really careful. Make sure to put the pan gasket under the cork bearing cap seal. You may have to trim this seal, so be sure to "NOT" cut it off too short. I always put silicon in the groove of the cap, "glueing the seal to the cap" and another thin coat on top of the seal where the pan will contact it. I also put silicon in the corners where the bearing cap seal meets the pan gasket. Moderation here, so the silicon should squeeze out making an excellent seal.

The front seal is a different story. You will have to decide if you want to use a rope seal or a one piece neopreme seal. Using a one piece seal will require you to take the front timing cover and pulley off as well...so be aware. You wil also have to make sure your pulley is the smooth type, without grooves. Good luck
v8fordman is offline   Reply With Quote