View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #9
Ken Ehrenhofer

Default Re: ultimate barn find

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
And it was on tv too. Cool collection.

Im not sure what to think about this comment. Was he dirt poor in his thinking or dirt poor in a modern world of rich? Or was he really even poor? I didnt see any gold toliets i guess, saved things only, and i didnt do a tally of his bank accounts. so he was probably an a-hole with this thinking, but here we are talking about it.... Again.
Interesting thought about Lee. I never considered him poor and I knew him for almost 50 years. Eccentric.......always interesting........moody and a few other things made him a "character" as we say in the area around Chicago.
Of course we refer to all of us old car guys as "characters" some more so than others and Lee fit right into that to all who knew him. He was a bit of a loaner but then I just never new he had so may friends. He wanted to live the way he did or he would have changed his ways. His daughter died of cancer around 40 years old and that must have had an impact. He was great collector and his "Big Show" after his passing will certainly be talked about for decades. It drives home the point that we do not own our collections but rather we are keeping them for the next guy. In this case I bought a bus from Lee's auction which he bought in 1972 so for 40 years Lee kept it so I could own it today and I am taking care of it until the next owner takes over. Of course my auction will probably be remembered for a week or two! I saw some pictures of him today showing Jay Leno some of his stuff and Jay was impressed. All I can say is thanks to Lee for being such a great collector so we can now enjoy all of his efforts. thanks to Margie and Bob It was a most memorable week.
Ken
Ken Ehrenhofer is offline   Reply With Quote