View Single Post
Old 03-07-2021, 08:08 AM   #20
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: Lifetime of Distributor Points ?

Like oil changes and other changes the recommended change interval is driven more by profits. A mechanic and the companies do not make money if they are not selling products.

It used to be a general rule you replaced the points about every year or so as I recall, been a while. The average person drove like 10,000 miles or so.

The truth is points only need to be changed when the point blocks are too far gone to work right or the wear block is worn out.

With a smooth lubricated cam you can expect a very very long life. Starting with a quality old used point set you are likely to go a couple of generations before they point need replacing.

I took apart a pile of distributers. I inspected and saved most of the points. The Standard and Ford script points all had bright shiny point blocks and almost unworn point blocks. The no name points had corroded point and wear blocks that were not a good. I have a set of NOS no name points on the card. The points were corroded.

Points should be a set and forget, well monitored for point gap and lubricated. You should expect reseting of the point gap when first installed and as the wear block wears into the cam the time to increase between gap changes.

Like oil changes people futz with points too much. Set them and drive.

A little reminder.

The upper dist bushing does not need a special oil hole. Read the manual and you will find you are to fill up the oil to the top of the oiler on the side of the dist.

Drive and have fun.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote