View Single Post
Old 08-10-2020, 10:02 PM   #1
ricconhan

Default Knock/rattle/tap at freewheel speed

I've got what's hard to describe, I'll call it knock/rattle/tapping at freewheeling speed, when accelerating or deceleration it's quiet, but at freewheeling speed it's there, I've tried changing the spark advance, adjusted GAV, just had the pan off and checked and adjusted the bearing clearances, went through the oil pump, visually checked the fiber timing gear and am just wondering what I'm missing. The only thing I haven't tried yet is somewhere or someplace I read that it may be necessary to raise the distributor just a tad to eliminate the rattle. I talked to a gentleman close to where I live today and he was saying that his A did the same thing. Anybody want to take a stab at it, I'm all ears. Oh, and I'm usually traveling around 35 - 40 or more mph when it shows up.
I had the head off when I dropped the pan and the valves looked good, pistons not hitting the gasket or head, I put about 4 oz. MMO in gas tank with every fill and when I first got the car I even put a few oz. of Seafoam in the fuel also because I know previous owner did pretty much only parade driving, but after having the head off and verifying the valves were good I backed off the Seafoam.

Last edited by ricconhan; 08-10-2020 at 11:37 PM.
ricconhan is offline   Reply With Quote