View Single Post
Old 11-14-2021, 07:44 PM   #7
Kilohertz

Default Re: Compression results

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
How long did this engine sit idle in storage? Stored indoors or out? There is a lot of difference between being worn out and being gummed up. I dragged a vehicle out of the damp and soggy NW Washington woods last year that had made a few short runs over the past 20 years. Not a ford it was an OHV six. I added mmo and seafoam to the fresh oil and also to the new gas. I also added these chemicals down the carb throat at fast idle, which gave some instant improvements. Drove it hard for the summer and the compression increased dramatically. The vacuum guage went from 16 and bumpy to a solid 20 and steady. Front to rear, the compression was increased by these numbers. 23,19,23,35,33,26 over the course of 3 months and about 1200 miles. I was very happy with the results. Worth a try.
This is encouraging as my '49 EAB engine has sat who knows how long, and will still be a year or more before being driven and I too was worried about my compression and vacuum numbers. Compression is about 90-100 and vacuum is about 16-18, mostly steady. I have run it in the shop but not driven with any load. Hoping a good run next summer will fix the issues.

Good luck with yours!