Thread: Noisy generator
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2020, 08:16 AM   #7
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Noisy generator

I would be surprised if it has the wrong springs. It most likely needs a little attention since it is 90 years old. If you are newer to the Model A hobby, a few pointers.

If you are not comfortable with working on a generator, for a few bucks rebuilt ones are available from the Model A Parts vendors, I like Berts Model A Parts especially for rebuilt parts. Getting the knack of getting it back together can be exasperating because of the brushes/springs. I will not take one apart again, would rather pay for a rebuilt.

If you are not aware of it, after you have the generator back together and is quiet, most models of generators have 2 oiling points that lubricate the bearings bushings, one each end of the generator. I have no experience with the early Power House generator if that is what you have. One or 2 drops of oil each, do not over oil. Some add a couple of drops from the end of the motor oil dip stick. Every 500 miles/oil change is enough.

Also do not forget the distributor, another source of a nasty very annoying/loud noise/squeal if the bushings go bad. At the base of the distributor there is a small shaft sticking out, with a cup on the end of the shaft. Fill the shaft/cup completely full of oil. By filling completely full oil will migrate up into the upper bushing. Add every 500-2000 miles/oil change.

Also wipe off/lube the distributor cam with cam grease every 500-2000 miles.

Some when resuscitating an A some like to pull the distributor out, and add some grease to the distributor shafts and the shaft cavity. Helps keep the shafts from rusting in the cavity . Mine originally had a huge amount of rust and it was quite a job to get the distributor out. It did not help that mine was the aftermarket shaft design one piece/long distributor shaft.

When greasing the water pump only a partial pump of grease on the zerk closest to the motor. Adding more than that can cause excess grease past the water pump into the cooling system, and can clog your radiator.

I had to replace both the distributor and generator after a while when I was a newbie, was ignorant and did not know about these lube points.

Last edited by 30 Closed Cab PU; 08-09-2020 at 08:20 AM. Reason: typos
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote