View Single Post
Old 04-29-2020, 08:52 AM   #1
Ed in Maine

Default After Replacing the Headgasket

I completed changing out the head gasket after finding water in the oil. This was not an easy job, the head was stuck and some of the studs required Helicoils and finally I cracked the gooseneck and had to replace it. If nothing else, the job gave me something to do during the lockdown!

Everything seems to be fine. All nuts torqued to 55 ft-lbs and after 4 or 5 runs of 15-30 minutes and checking torques when the engine had cooled, the values have leveled out and stayed at 55 ft. lbs. Car starts and runs perfectly. I must have been traumatized because I don't trust it! After each run up to full temperature and letting the car cool I have been draining the radiator over night just in case the seal wasn't perfect. Now, I think it is time to let it go and let the car be a normal operating Model A.

My question is, what is good practice in how often I should check the torque on all the nuts in the weeks ahead? How long should I let the car run after which it would be good to check the torque? At this point I still am not comfortable going on a club tour. Thanks for your help, Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote