View Single Post
Old 05-30-2020, 11:18 AM   #2
Jim/GA

Default Re: A question about colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
I've attached a couple of pictures and I'm wondering about the colors.
First is the dust jacket showing what I assume to be a '29 Phaeton. I like the color, sort of a khaki and orange wheels.
Second is a page from the MAFCA Paint and finish guide showing that a '29 Phaeton with orange wheels would be painted Rose Beige body color with Seal Brown belt moulding color.
Third, from the same book, is the color sample page showing "Rose Beige" but this Rose Beige looks nothing like the car in the first photo.
So, is the book cover car painted an "inappropriate" color? Or, is the page showing the color combination wrong? Or, is the color sample wrong? I had bought this book several years ago and remarked that most of the "dark" colors looked way too dark. I managed to lose that copy and recently bought this new copy and it still appears that those dark colors are still way too dark.
Thanks for any explanation you can offer!!
The table in the Paint & Finish Guide is correct. Rose Beige and Seal brown with an Orange pinstripe is one of the authentic paint combinations for a '29 Phaeton or Roadster. Painting the wheels Orange was an option done by many dealers at extra cost.

Which edition of the P&FG do you have? Does it have a date or an Edition number? The color chips in that book are probably correct.

If the color chips look dark to you, compared to printed images you see online or in books, it is because the printed materials are not accurate. It is very difficult to get those images to reproduce correctly. Many people lighten up the images because the look better in print (but they are not correct).

You also need to take the color chips in the book outside, not in direct sun, but in outdoor indirect light, to see the correct color. You can't trust what you see on a computer monitor.

There were some color charts printed in the 60's and 70's by major paint suppliers that had some colors done incorrectly. These errors have propagated through the hobby for years. This is often why people think the P&FG chips are too dark.

I hope this helps.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)