Thread: Ammeter hookup
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2020, 06:32 PM   #7
rotorwrench

Default Re: Ammeter hookup

An Amp meter will show what the load is on the system. If the load is less than 20 amps them it won't ever show more than what the load is. An alternator will pick up the load when it taxes the battery's capability to keep up with it. If a person installed some high amp load components other than the normal model A complement then the amperage could go over 20-amps. A short to ground can go all the way up to the alternator and battery's maximum capacity so wires will burn fast if there are no fuses in the circuit.

12-volt systems have the capability to carry more amps through a smaller wire. A normal wire size for a light duty 6-volt circuit would be a 16-gauge wire. In a 12-volt system it would be 18-gauge. There is nothing wrong with using the larger wire but a system fuse would be a good ideal in any case. I only use a shunt if I'm running a high ampere alternator like 60 or more amps with a lot of potential load. All the 24-volt systems I work on have large alternators and either a purpose made shunt or a calibrated shunt wire set up. For a tractor or a model A with basic electrical equipment, no shunt is needed.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote