View Single Post
Old 05-04-2020, 01:33 PM   #15
DRG-ler

Default Re: Stainless steel water pipes?

OffTopic
Quote:
... but in Germany it is common to have stainless steel pipes in your house? ...
No, it is not common. It's another system, like copper and PEX. These systems are also used here. With copper pipes, however, there is a possibility that the oxide will be deposited in the water and this will then have a bad taste. PEX is a system that is processed IN walls, and on walls, stainless steel has proven to be the neatest option. But it is also one of the most expensive systems on the market.

Here is a picture.

All parts installed a year ago. The stainless steel was like new on the inside, the copper as well ... The cast iron part was almost completely clogged on the inside and rusted from the inside out.

Back to topic.

Quote:
The last pipe lasted 90 years and that ain't bad, so why go to all the expense and effort to have a stainless one made or to buy one that costs so much more?
I actually see it the same way as you do. A new pipe will last longer than I grow old. But the new pipes all look so misshapen. They fell on the arch like this. I don't like that, it's not the same with my pipe. I also need the additional connection for the water heater. I would also have to convert the new pipe. My friend's stainless steel tubes have bends that are not as sunken / look like this. You could build the whole thing optically nicer. Ultimately, it's all about the look and durability.

Today I had the original pipe repaired for the first time. It will last 1-2 years, but then a new one will be needed.

Thanks Bob, I think I'll have the replacement made of stainless steel. The price for this will be relatively low, that's what a good friend does.

Here you can see the original pipe again.

Greetings Andy
DRG-ler is offline   Reply With Quote