View Single Post
Old 12-08-2019, 03:31 PM   #32
DHZIEMAN

Default Re: Model A Registration Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Maine View Post
Today I went to look at a 1931 Model A that is for sale. I liked it, it is a good ten footer in very good running condition. The price was negotiated and I am happy with it. This is the situation:
1. The owner has passed away and his wife is selling the car.
2. The car has an out of state plate and registration and a title. It seems that the owner felt it was more convenient to keep the old paper work then to re-register the car in his new home state.
3. I have a copy of the title and death certificate and plan to go to the DMV for advice before I seal the deal with payment.
4. After I got back home, I find that the VIN # on the title does not match the number on the engine. The engine must have been changed when it was rebuilt. I suppose the VIN # on the frame may match the title but who wants to go through all the work of removing the front fender?

I want the car but I'm afraid I will be laughed out of the DMV trying to register a car with a different ID number. Has anyone run across a situation like this? Any suggestions? Thank you, Ed
I kinda backed into the situation, you have. Here in Missouri, I bought a car with a title from a fellow in the state. The difference is he was still alive and the title was current. But the same problem! I noted after I bought the car that the title and motor number did not match. The car is a 1930 and the motor is 1931 according to the number on the block.
No one at the Missouri office checked and neither did I. And from what I can tell, this is not an uncommon issue on a Model A where the motor has been replaced, either with a Model A engine or a later V8. It would be difficult and more confusing, I think, for any state to try and keep changing the serial number of the car to match engine Serial numbers. Just my 2 cents
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote