View Single Post
Old 11-14-2018, 02:08 AM   #26
pbishop

Default Re: Best fuel and exhaust system for power

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I installed a Weber two-barrel on my Model A with an aluminum ‘down draft intake manifold’ purchased together from 'Mike's'. I do not use a fuel pump with this set-up. I do have to keep the gas cap loose to insure a steady flow of petrol through the modern gas filter placed directly below the gas tank exit via the fire-wall. Cylinders have been bored and replaced with pistons to .010 over and the flywheel has been dished to reduce its weight.

The car will do a continuous 60 mph with just a little effort after running through its standard 3 speed gearbox. I have a new radiator so there is no problem with temp – generally runs around 180 degrees when sitting in Florida summer traffic (Tampa).
My exhaust manifold and muffler are standard Model A (but I understand that the replacement cast-iron/ or a modern header would add 10+ horsepower, but cost is something I have to keep in mind. The accountant (wife) limits what I am able/allowed to purchase. Happy wife, happy life!

The car will do 65 mph for about 5 miles before it begins to starve for fuel with this set-up, at which point it begins to cut-out for lack of fuel. Fuel pump would solve the problem, but I am happy with the performance as it is. 35 miles to work and I take it on a 45-55 mph state road to work about once a month.
pbishop is offline   Reply With Quote