View Single Post
Old 05-09-2020, 02:19 PM   #8
4tcoupe

Default Re: 1937 Ford Tudor door handle droop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track T-4 View Post
Kube: What is the remote latch you are referring to? I was only replacing the big spring for the door latch, is there another?

bill3337: I don't think the shaft is twisted. Actually not positive replacing the spring will help, just seems like sloppiness somewhere that allows the handle to droop. BTW, nice sedan, is that yours?

I don't know about other years, but on my forty, the 1/4" square shaft on the handle was worn off on the corners where it entered the square hole in the inner mechanism. I built up the worn spots with a dab of weld metal, ground/filed it back to square, and it worked fine. also found one that the shaft was broke and welded on a length of 1/4" square key stock clocked to match old, cut to length, and it worked as good as new. This also restores all lost motion when turning handle, back to 90 degrees. This is assuming the return spring is in good condition. Don't know why the shaft wears out before the hole, but the car is 75 years old. I have picked up a lot of original handles at swap meets and most of them have this same problem. Just saying it worked for me.
4tcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote