View Single Post
Old 05-30-2020, 12:14 PM   #5
Jim/GA

Default Re: A question about colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
I have the 3rd Edition Revised April 2008. I might have gotten a copy from old stock. Looking at the color samples under ANY light, outdoor, outdoor full sun, indoor incandescent or fluorescent or LED, there's no way that the color chip can be right.

So, is there a better source for color chips?
OK, you have the latest book. The colors of the paint chips in that book are correct. Those chips were printed, at considerable expense, by a company that specializes in this for the automotive and industrial paint industry. Every chip was compared to original Ford factory paint chips for each color.

As Brent said, many people in the past have used an existing paint color, chosen from a book, intended to be for another later model car, that they felt was "close enough" and used it because they liked it. Maybe they had no original sample to go by. Maybe they just liked what they chose more than the authentic color. I don't know.

You are not the first person to conclude that the paint chips in the P&FG are "wrong", "too dark", "can't be right". I've heard it before. They have been verified several times and are correct. Sorry that you don't like them.

This is why my Dad painted his '29 phaeton in a 1931 color scheme. He liked it better, even though it was incorrect for his year. He thought the '29 colors were not bright enough, not vibrant enough.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote