View Single Post
Old 05-13-2020, 11:19 AM   #1
GinRicky

Default 1929 Fordor Briggs Running Again

Got it from my uncle, to the best of my knowledge it was parked some time around the beginning of the second world war or just after, and has literally sat in a barn until now. Took my time with it, I've replaced the carb with a Tillotson, the coil of course, plugs, starter, sediment bowl, distributor (modern design), fuel shutoff valve, managed to rebuild the seized water pump, all fluids save engine oil were empty and are now filled and holding. Compression readings were in the 50s 1-4, though I do need to check again after it has run as much as it has.

I have gotten it to idle real low as I have seen they should; glub glub glub nice quiet and smooth, and it will stay like that indefinitely sitting in the shop. Revs up, feels solid throughout. Approx one minute of driving, however, and it starts losing power then dies and won't start again no matter what I do. Not overly hot, hands can be put anywhere without melting to the engine, no boiling over. After it cools a bit it will run and rev, idle as before, etc. But as soon as I try driving it....the same.

Next I plan to check compression after it dies while hot to see what I have there. About 21K on the odometer. Any thoughts? I should also add that it will climb our steep hill outside the shop without issue, within the minute or so before it starts acting up. Got second gear a couple times, it feels perfectly ready to go, and then does its thing again.

Really cool car, so original. They'd put a tow hitch bar on it, and it is painted blue with a paintbrush! There are things on it like bailing wire apparently holding the shock rods together, nails in place of cotter pins here and there, a bullet hole in one of the doors that didn't fully penetrate; the lead can still be seen in there. There's a sticker on the front of the driver door pillar that reads "Serviced with Mobiloil and Mobilgrease", which I've found anywhere between 1936 and 1945, I think. Quite a bit of character in this car, one that you might want to keep as it is because it is so cool that way.

Last edited by GinRicky; 05-13-2020 at 11:37 AM.
GinRicky is offline   Reply With Quote