View Single Post
Old 08-30-2019, 01:07 PM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Wind Wings 31 Roadster [fell off]

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I ditch the glass wings and replace them with polycarbonate ones. Sure, they get scratched after a whie so I replace them. They are MUCH lighter than glass and so less likely to fall off. Even the crappy clamps we get these days will hold them pretty well.

Ummm guys, but this is the part I just don't get. Why do we suggest making a 'band-aid' that will cause another set of issues later instead of repairing the parent problem correctly?

I will be the first to admit that it's not just these remedies mentioned above, but think about how many people think it is necessary to convert from 6v to 12v, -or mechanical ty hydraulic brakes, --or add a steering damper to correct shimmy, ...and the list could go on all because of someone advised them to make a substandard repair. I am not picking on any of you specifically but shouldn't we coaching people to make correct (-and authentic) repairs?

This is not to be construed as a purist-only repair tangent on my part, but adopting more of a 'let's do it correctly the first time' mindset. It has been my experiences that over the years, 'band-aided repairs' have given many people incorrect or poor opinions of the Model-A. Mindsets of unknowledgeable like they wont stop, the steering is awful, they won't keep up with modern traffic, etc. are all generated because someone experienced a Model-A that was restored poorly or improperly, and they formed their opinion based on their personal experience with that vehicle. I challenge each of us to do better and at least work towards preserving the Model-A hobby by making less 'band-aid' type repairs.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote