View Single Post
Old 12-20-2018, 11:08 PM   #1
brsturges

Default Banjo Axle Question - Where There’s Wear

I’ve started breaking down a pair of banjo rear ends I had set aside for my next project, to pick the best parts from both to use. I have a question about some wear I found on one of the axles. The area of concern is where the grease seal rides near the tapered end of the axle.

The picture below shows the three best axles I have out of the four I removed (the other has badly damaged threads that appear beyond any easy repair). The axle on the right is great, with no issues that I can see. The middle axle has some noticeable pitting on the grease seal surface. There is a closeup picture of that as well. The axle on the left looks ok, but I can feel a slight ridge where the seal rides.

I was hoping to get some opinions as to whether the middle axle and/or the axle on the left would cause me leakage problems down the road. I’ll be using new seals of course, but wanted to hear what you all thought about the wear and whether they will seal up okay. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 80468449-313C-4535-861F-062AC04D0EE2.jpg (34.9 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg 1DCABBA1-A10D-409C-9814-197FA67F20A7.jpg (26.1 KB, 179 views)
brsturges is offline   Reply With Quote