View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 08:14 AM   #15
steve s

Default Re: Radiator bubbling over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/TX View Post
I know. That's where I started. I expected any steam formed to condense back to water before it got to the upper tank.

I used the block tester on this engine 10 times now over 6 months, convinced those bubbles mean a bad head gasket. Never once did it turn yellow. (The head gasket is 6 months old, put on after a valve job.)

I made a rubber adapter ring to get a tight seal on the radiator filler neck and I capped off the overflow tube to keep fresh air out. I use a hand vacuum pump to draw the vapor up through the blue fluid for a full 2 minutes.

I do the test with the engine at 1400 RPM, full spark advance, coolant temp 165* (after a long run to get everything good and hot), and a new radiator. You can see the bubbles coming up a steady stream. But the fluid stays blue.

That is how I finally decided that it is steam from some hot spot in the block. As long as it does not foam, I can live with it. The steam just goes out the overflow tube and you have to top up the radiator to replace the water that boils off.
I wonder if it would be any different with antifreeze?
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote