Old 09-02-2020, 08:52 AM   #55
Licensed to kill

Default Re: Tow Vehicle Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by trulyvintage View Post
I don’t have to write an Essay ��

The trailer is equal or greater in weight - mass - length
to the tow vehicle ��
That is the case in the vast majority of towing from commercial transport to RV's. NO I am not suggesting that the car/trailer in question is as suitable for towing as a Peterbilt, just pointing out that pulling a trailer that it longer and heavier that the tow vehicle is not uncommon. Also, in the case of the car/trailer in question, the rig will tow incredibly straight with all that hitch weight so the weight difference between the car and trailer is not a factor other than braking.

Quote:
There is no way that tow vehicle can safely stop
that trailer at operating speed under normal conditions
let alone in an emergency ��

Common Sense ��

Jim
You could be right. However, you can't make that assumption and present it as fact unless you KNOW how it is actually set up. Do you KNOW that the trailer has no brakes?. Do you KNOW what the "operating speed under normal conditions" is?. If the car is geared so slow that top speed is 25MPH and the trailer has vacuum or electric brakes, then it could be quite safe. IF, OTOH, the car is going to be travelling 50MPH like a stock A coupe would (unlikely that it even could pulling that trailer) and only has the factory car brakes and no brakes on the trailer then, yes, I agree 100% with your supposition. My point is that there is no way to make that determination simply by looking at that picture. BTW, you are right. We see scary stuff on the highway every day. However, it is very rare, in my experience, that the scary stuff is as nice, neat and tidy as the keely rig in the picture. the scary stuff is usually cobbled together junk.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote