View Single Post
Old 08-29-2020, 11:37 PM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Mismatched drums won't fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpkatt View Post
I'm fitting hydraulic drums to my 30' model a . The fronts are sorted. I'm having trouble with the rear though. 3 of the drums look the same, the forth I didnt realize when purchased, doesn't look the same as the others and I'm having trouble fitting it over the shoes. I understand theres 2 drum styles from the era,but I thought you could use either. Any insight would be great.
Those drums were obviously manufactured with the hub FLANGE inside the drum. That style drum was used on 1940 and '41 (some folks say '42 also) Fords, although they normally fit perfectly-well all the way up through 1948....absolutely a 'bolt-on' replacement. There were probably more than two iterations of those drums when you count NORS and replacement drum/hub assemblies. That one 'oddball' should go on, though.

Can you describe just where and when the drum stops 'going-on' the rear end? Does it stop when it meets the brake shoes. If so, it's possible the brake shoes are not adjusted to their most-retracted position. And if they are retracted all the way, and if you are working with new or re-lined brake shoes, many times now-a-days replacement brake linings are too thick, especially if you have drums that have never been, or minimally been turned. Is the key stock sitting properly in the keyway in the axle? Is there any way for you to accurately measure the inside diameter of that drum? It should measure somewhere between 12.000" and 12.060" in diameter. Could you take a picture or two of the brake assembly you're trying to install the drum over?

SOME replacement old Ford brake shoes have the big pivot hole at the bottom of each shoe punched in the wrong location and can cause your problem. Can you elaborate or shed a few more details? That black drum SHOULD work! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)