View Single Post
Old 06-25-2018, 06:45 PM   #117
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

The Missing Link.
It was said by teachers I would never become a pilot. I was not bright. Well if I can say so I became a leader in aerial agricultural standards. Insurance carriers talk of me in never having a claim outside a total engine failure. Retiring shortly with 30k hours.
Another agpilot by the name of Chris Holden was told the same. He is a successful pilot in NSW with years of good safe experience.
David Link was a farm boy in the agricultural area I serviced. Ridiculed at school and named “the missing link”. When I bought a new (to me) aeroplane David would appear to check it out. He would appear again, shortly after with all the specs of the aeroplane and power plant. He always was interested in aeroplanes.
My son Dennis was in the same school year as David. When school finished and kids are seeking employment 15 of them, Dennis said, had applied to the airforce for a job. I asked who they were. I had not seen a single one on of them on the airfield and not one was accepted to my knowledge.
David goes and gets a job as drilling assistant, a no future job. He saves his money and takes lessons flying helicopters. His successful career takes him to theNorthern Territory mustering cattle. Then various jobs including in Canada. He returns to Australia and takes up an appointment with National Parks. Everything is going well.
The police aviation wing wanted one extra helicopter pilot and had 74 applicants. David got that one job. Today he flys the most interesting jobs in outback and city. Flies around the big buildings at night with night flying goggles. Still a pilot and did not need tobecome a policeman.
I admire David, the farm kid who was ridiculed at school. Like Chris Holden and myself those lampooned can reach high standards and command top jobs. Hats off to you farm boy.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (78.4 KB, 9 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote