View Single Post
Old 08-26-2015, 10:35 PM   #99
ian Simpson

Default Re: Fellas... I've had enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshirt View Post
Ryan,
Here's a partial-solution used by another forum I'm on: require actual names in the signature area.

That is why my name is there. I put my name on everything I say.

A name and phone number might be even better. People are less likely to slam others when they know they can be gotten to. Take your name or number off your signature, and your account is suspended.
Ryan, I feel your pain. I ran the ISP services of a large University as it came into being back in the early birth pains of the Internet. Managing or mentoring the conduct of over thirty thousand hormone drenched international undergrads was bad enough. But through the years I found that the staff and faculty were far more prone to abuse of their privileges. (and membership of the Model A Forum is a privilege!!!)

As an aside, one of the best deterrents I found to abusive commentary was to have one of my staff, a lady of advanced years who looked like a Disney grandma, but was a tough as nails, interview the perpetrators. I have seen members of the varsity football team leave her office in tears.

We did ensure that all our users were registered with their real names and could discover their true identity within minutes. I have always used my real name on any forum in which I have participated, although I have used nom-de-plumes over my name to emphasise a point. (E.G. I used the nom-de-plume 'Kier Hardie' when discussing capitalism, for which I was called a Scottish bastard by a distinguished faculty member from a well known college.)

Further, as part of my professional duties I had to monitor and sometimes participate in several forums pertaining various computing related issues. The abuse and profanities that I suffered for espousing unconventional opinions was incredible. Nobody should suffer any verbal abuse for expressing any opinion that in itself is not couched in inflammatory language.

In my opinion, the to right free speech should not also grant a right to abuse and/or otherwise discomfort any person. If the controlling and confining the damage caused by the abuse of the right to free speech restrains or restricts that right - TOO BAD. Live with it and moderate your language.

Ryan - Keep up the good work.

Last edited by ian Simpson; 08-26-2015 at 11:36 PM. Reason: poor grammar
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote