View Single Post
Old 06-19-2021, 07:52 PM   #81
Slowmotoring

Default Re: I'm not a Model A person

Pictures look nice. I got my A last fall and have about 1500 miles on it since the salt has washed off the roads. Im still grinding gears occasionally. Ive found that its a lot easier to shift smoothly if you keep the rpms on the low side. You’ll get a feel for it and be able to start shifting at higher rpms. Paul shinn has a lot of how to videos on you tube that are very handy to watch. He has at least one on how to shift. Some people double clutch. I just do a 5 second count and seems to work good. You have to play with the timing based on rpms though. Maybe double clutching is the better way. Many ways to skin a cat...

mine steers pretty stiff as well. Im thinking thats why henry installed such a large steering wheel for us to crank on.

I have found that the timing plays a pretty big role in the vibrations of my car. Wether it be at idle or cruising down the road. When i got my car it had roughly 100 miles on it since its restoration in 1995. My journey started with fuel issues and it stalling much like yours to blowing fuses much like yours but from a short in the horn. And several other minor issues along the way. Point is, if your car only has 400 miles on it since it was restored, it probably hasnt been sorted. Your going to have issues that pop up after a restoration no matter the depth of the restoration.

Did you have other issues on your test drive other than the vibrations and the clunky tranny?