View Single Post
Old 06-13-2017, 05:44 PM   #5
hardtimes

Default Re: 2-piece rear main seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
The two-piece cork/neoprene rear seal is fairly rigid and functions as a "pinch seal" much like the front seal albeit with a much greater oil flow. This requires just the right amount of pressure over the entire circumference and this can be a challenge given the possible variations in fitment within the upper and lower caps with respect to the centerline of the shaft. Too much pressure and wears fast and leaks and too little pressure at any given point and it will leak there. I have been told that the old design can be effective but only if one take extra time and effort to achieve a good fit. I don't know if there have been any improvements in design over the last couple years.
Hey ursus,
The same words can be used to describe the proper installation of any rear main seal in an A/B engine, i.e.- install by one who knows how to achieve a GOOD fit ! I do not know of any recent improvement in the two piece cork/neoprene rear seal.
However, I second Jim B use (Terry Burtz) of the one piece real seal...properly fit. I have two such installs running in B engines at this time, with neither leaking at all.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote