View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 01:57 PM   #11
OldGold360

Default Re: Mack hills bed for a 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32phil View Post
I bought a 32 "shorty" pick up box from Mack's.
Thinking that it was a drop in/ bolt in I had it painted and I finished the wood.
The fit and finish of everything was very good.
When we tried to mount it on the chassis absolutely nothing lined up. Not one hole was in the correct place. When I contacted them they began to "educate" me on 32 Ford frames.
They told me I had a Factory "long bed frame" and I needed to use a Factory "short bed frame". No such animal exists nor did it ever. Also judging from the pictures I sent I was told the bed was "way too far forward" It was 3/4" from the back of the cab and the reveal on the sides of the bed lined up with the center line of the rear wheel. He had no explanation for that minor fact. After telling me I needed a short box frame again I politely thanked him for his time and hung up.
What we discovered was the inner framework of the bed was incorrectly welded to the bed sides and front panel. That put one of the bed crossmembers in direct conflict with the rear frame crossmember. I had to cut out the offending area of the bed(goodbye nice paint !). I made up some brackets to reinforce the cut area and touched them up to match. The bed inner framing itself was about three inches too far forward so none of the holes lined up. Also no provision was made to attach the rear of the bed using the original brackets Ford used in 1932. I made up 2 brackets to attach the rear of the box to the original rear brackets. I drilled 2 holes in the frame using the holes in the bed as a template.
All in all it looks great but after a lot of work/rework on my part.
Just the facts.

Thanks Phil. I am going to check hole alignment on my 36 bed floor today or tomorrow and will report back... hopefully with good news.
OldGold360 is offline   Reply With Quote