View Single Post
Old 01-24-2021, 09:13 PM   #7
Cool 33

Default Re: Mack hills bed for a 34

I bought a Mac Hils stock assembled style bed for my 33 pick up project. I specified that I did not want the access hole for the fuel sender cut in the bed floor. When it arrived the crate was great (but shipping to Texas was pretty high). When I get it out of the crate I found that they had gone ahead and cut the hole in the bed floor but had not cut the hole for the fuel filler neck thru the bedside. I called them about it and was told that if I didn't like the bed that I could return it at my cost to get it corrected. I had already waited several months to receive it so that was not going to happen! I had no way to locate the filler hole but eventually was able to do enough measuring to determine its location. I prepped and painted the underneath/ bottom of the bed and when I set it on the frame I discovered that the wood sub floor was not notched correctly where it set down over the rear frame kick ups. I had to cut this out with a chisel and then when I again set it down found out that ends of the two center bed cross members did not line up with the factory bolt holes in the frame. Also the hold down bolt holes were not in the bed floor which proved to be good since the holes did not line up any way on the 4 center bolts. Once all the issues were corrected and the truck was finished it looks great and completely original. My advice would be to test fit the bed before any prep work is done because it may have to be turned upside down and 'massaged'.
Cool 33 is offline   Reply With Quote