View Single Post
Old 11-02-2020, 10:34 PM   #6
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: Spring perch removal ?

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Never heat the axle past the point where oil start smoking you will ruin the axle's metal. This will make it very soft.

I had a pair of perches that would not move.

Keep in mind I have this big vice and tried all the common things. Though kroil I never bother with as it never actually soaks through if they are really stuck. That is another story.

Not long before this I picked up a pile of tools insanely cheap at a garage sale. In this pile was a long throw automotive air hammer. So I thought, lets give it s try.

I cut the end off a chisel tool and put the nut on the end of the perch. Pulled the trigger and much to my surprise after a short bit it moved, slowly. Got it down and pulled the nut off, keep in mind it was still very very tight. Pushed it through. The end was mushroomed a bit, but the original nut still fit on it. The other side worked the same way.

A KEY part of this, I have a vice that is around 100lbs. Two people had to lift it on the bench. This did not allow the axle to move even a small amount. If you can not solidly back the axle while hammering it will not work very well.

Good luck.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote