View Single Post
Old 12-05-2022, 01:53 PM   #7
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: 1946-1948 Brake Shoe Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Victoria View Post
A final comment to post #5.
The tip I received to adjust the brakes so that the drag is enough to stop the wheel within one rotation when spun by hand worked for me. While subjective in nature it gives a measure to apply to ones adjustment technique.

The assembly I crafted to use 37 pedals with a 39-48 master cylinder did not work. The pedal ratio was adversely affected and full pedal pressure could not be achieved.
Using 39 pedals that gave a direct in line travel to the MC solved the soft brake pedal. The brakes come on fully with nominal pressure at about 1/3 pedal depression.
With the New Boling Bros drums on 39 hubs and a soft woven lining and the afore mentioned 39 pedals the brakes work very-very well. I won’t go back to a hard lining on these early brake systems, they were designed for soft lining. The woven material may wear a little sooner but a small price to pay for great brakes.
Added features: the ability now to service the brakes without removing the hubs & the design of the Boling Bros drums should yield to a stronger brake action will less fade due to heat.

REALLY appreciate the update! Glad that this has seemingly worked-out well for you.

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote