View Single Post
Old 10-11-2021, 10:28 AM   #12
Ruth

Default Re: Consensus of opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
For me a generator is more reliable and cheaper to repair/replace I have the charge rate set at 14 amps ---first generator I rebuilt am still doing high output testing after temporary repair in 1972 --learned that fuse at starter causes generator and bulb problems was told that resoldering wires to commutator would be only a temporary fix ---got rid of fuse.
I drive a lot at night have halogen bulbs , no battery tender ,long battery life, use headlights during daytime to limit charge rate and expect it to stare even if it has been over 3 months.
I have had the delco alternator out of the truck 3 times in 40 years(74 chevy van) it's worn out 3 belts in that time --the stock A belt is still working at 50
It costs me more than twice as much to rebuild a alternator---i can buy a generator for 5$ or less that I can go through clean and re lubricate and have one that works for many years.
Kurt, just curious. How many miles do you put on your Model A compared to your van? I have a similar experience, but I will anmit I put a lot more miles on my van than I do my Model A.