View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 09:38 PM   #52
Ranchero50

Default Re: Newbie '29 Speedster project, the good the bad and even the ugly (maybe)

OK, time for an update. This is a little out of sequence but it'll be ok. Spent a couple days getting the steering box sorted out and I'll post that in the next post.

I picked up a couple salvage sticks of 3/4" thin wall square tube and used a harbor freight three roller tubing bender to form the dash and rear structures. I found that the dash form board flipped upside down fit great for a seatback.

So I spent a couple days struggling with the seat back frame and ended up with a 3/4" EMT bender and was able to knock it out in about an hour... I also repurposed a floor brace that didn't fit as a frame hump cover with a chunk of 3/4" oak bolted in as a support. I'll mount the spare tire stand to it eventually.

This evening I fit some 1" x 2" box tubing to start the gas tank mounts and fit the seat back to sit flush onto one. I have a plan for a sheetmetal firewall between the seat and tank area eventually.

With the dash formed and steering box rebuilt I needed to machine and fit a clamp to hold the column solid.