View Single Post
Old 11-27-2023, 04:36 PM   #20
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Southern Ca banger machine shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty30roadster View Post
Hi, I’m back to the drawing board. The shop I was going to use cannot do Model B engines, only As, so I’m searching again…

My list
- BMS doesn’t do main bearings
- Johnson’s auto - left 2 VMs, no call back yet
- HH - 2VMs, no call back yet
- Turlock machine - spoke with Joe and I don’t think I can afford his work .
- I will continue to network through the Model A clubs locally.

My dilemma::
I have 7 Flathead blocks at the machine shop now, if one comes back good, I’m tempted to build one for my roadster but really don’t want to scrap the Model B. I love my Banger and I’m doing everything possible to keep it because it is in excellent condition (minus the rabbit bearings) but the cost to fix it may be close to a V8 build….

Thanks for your help!!! Keep sending ideas, J

I totally understand your dilemma, but you are not alone. The problem is the costs to own/repair/restore one of these cars is not affordable for many.

From my perspective, the problem on the other side is the costs to own & operate a machine shop with decent quality equipment is absolutely crazy now. And, ...the customer's expectations in these times are so high that a shop owner does not dare try to use an inferior (i.e.: inaccurate) machine to do machine work because the costs of labor, and potential for re-do's from poor machine work easily make doing them unprofitable unless they charge accordingly.

Then factor in tooling costs & supplies whose prices have escalated over 50% in the past 3 years, plus the costs of utilities, insurance, and employee labor, -and I think you quickly find the day of the $3,500 engine rebuild are behind us.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote