View Single Post
Old 07-26-2020, 09:57 AM   #20
jrvariel48

Default Re: Re-torque head nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
You should change out the cap, but not quite for the reason you stated. The cap rating is the maximum pressure the system should see before it is released to the overflow. But the pressure comes from the heat in the coolant and unless your over heating it shouldn't get that hot. The higher pressures allow the coolant to reach a higher temperature before it boils. You would not want a coolant temperature in the range that a 16 lb cap would allow. Unless the radiator (and the rest of the coolant system) is designed for that high of pressures and temperatures you could damage the system.
The radiator is an aluminum aftermarket unit and it came with the 16lb. cap.
I can run it all day with the electric fan on at a steady 190*. The temp hasn't gone past 190* even when it was 94*outside and I was driving it hard for an hour. I put the 7lb. cap on this morning before a ride. When I turned off the car, only three out of five were dripping. So I'm not really sure what's going on yet. Still running straight water at the moment until this is straightened out. I'm still going to pull the leaking studs, clean and reinstall with Permatex Thread sealant with PTFE
Thanks
jrvariel48 is offline   Reply With Quote