View Single Post
Old 06-15-2021, 08:26 AM   #15
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Motor wheel hub cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkudisch View Post
Any one know where I may find hub caps for my Motor Wheel, wood wheels. They have MW on the face of the hub cap. My wood wheels have been on the car since I bought it 55 years ago. The wheel are listed in the unauthorized accessories book from back when.
Without knowing your abilities or capabilities, that is difficult to answer but all I can share is what I would do if I were in your shoes. I would make them. I would pretend your wheels were the only four remaining on the planet and you had to do something.

As for what options I would try, ...that would depend on my goals and budget. If I wanted a simple hubcap that is close in aesthetics, I would draw (-or find someone to draw) the hubcap in CAD using what pictures and printed media that I could find to replicate the details and dimensions. For the short term, I would probably use a 3D Printer to make 4 hubcaps that could be detailed with paint to look very similar to the original cap.

If budget money were not an issue, I would look at having them CNC machined out of billet stock 6061 alloy using that CAD drawing to write the G-code. After machining, those could be detailed in a way that would make them difficult to distinguish from original. And, ...if I needed to replicate them in exacting detail, I would use that same CAD drawing along with a 3D Router to manufacture wood dies to use in multiple pressing operations on some 3003 alloy. Then make forms to use in a lathe to finish spinning the hubcap body in a lathe. Might even consider using the 3D Printer to make those spinning forms too.

Just remember, whatever you do in this, your luck on finding originals will be much akin to a boy finding a girl friend. When he is desperately looking, they are nowhere to be found. Once he finds a girlfriend, other suitable candidates are everywhere!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote