View Single Post
Old 09-13-2014, 01:03 AM   #6
Wrenchy61

Default Re: Replacement thermometer for Motormeters

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I replaced my original Motometer because the body was pitted and the thermometer had failed. The mercury would no shrink back to the bottom. I even placed it in the freezer overnight to no avail.

I bought a new Motometer by Boyce with the wreath engraving but no wreath on the screws from Tomlinson for $59.95. The form, fit, and finish matched the original with better mounting mounting tangs. I believe that since most Motometers have such a poor finish that it is cheaper to just buy a new one than to rebuild it by replacing the bulb, screws, and gaskets.

The only problem with the new Motometer shipped in a box sealed with the genuine Ford equipment seal was that the flip top would not seal. It rattled because the gasket face was flush with the body. I complained and Thomlinson sent a thicker rubber gasket that seems to seal but has not been tested. I don't like this gasket because it not a composite and red in color. After a period of time, the rubber gasket will fail.

Almost without exception, every parts order from every vendor arrives as poor quality, wrong quantity, and wrong color etc. I am sure all of you know the rest of the story.
Wrenchy61 is offline   Reply With Quote