View Single Post
Old 03-24-2020, 01:00 PM   #5
40 Deluxe

Default Re: Holley 94 air screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockeyshift41 View Post
Hello fellas. New here to the Ford Barn. I’ve been rebuilding a few carbs for a 2x2 intake I’m swapping into my 52 F2. One carb had the idle air screws modified with a groove cut down the entire length. Never seen this before in my 35 years as a mechanic. Was wondering if this was some old shade tree mechanic’s trick to lean out carb due to no access for parts or what? Anyone seen this before or know why? Good thing I have an abundance of parts.
Probably as you say, a shade tree mechanic's mistaken idea of an "improvement" to the Holley carb because, as you know, "them oil companies paid off those Holley engineers so cars would use more gas!". There sure are a lot of urban myths in this old car hobby, some old, some new! Like, "if you line up all the ring gaps your engine won't start (or run, or burn oil, or ...something)"; or "you need that 4th oil ring to somehow 'stabilize' the piston"; or "the 'W' as in 30W stands for 'Weight' (it actually means 'Winter'); and the list goes on. Anybody got any more favorite myths?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote