View Single Post
Old 08-17-2022, 10:06 PM   #1
Laredo

Default Found loose shims & unused cotter pin in oil pan - What do I need to check? (w/pics)

When I drained the oil this morning to do an oil change, a couple shims were poking out of the pan drain hole. I dropped the pan and found 3 used rod shims (had crimp marks on them) stuck in the pump spring and 1 unused cotter pin lying in the drip tray.

So....the question is where exactly do I go from here? I'm completely new to As and engine with babbitt bearings/shims. The guy I just bought car from said that he had put no more than 500 miles on the rebuilt original engine. I believe that after looking at the bottom. He had a counterweighted and counterbalanced crank installed, as well as a Model B camshaft. The engine ran great - no knocking or other odd noises, great power.

There was zero sludge in the pan. All connecting rod nuts have their cotter pins installed. All main bearings and connecting rods have shims present and seemingly tight - I tried pressing on each stack of shims sticking out of each rod, and none of them budged any.

I tried to wiggle each rod cap to see if there was any side-to-side play, and here's what I found. Rods 1 and 2 (starting from the front) were tight and didn't move at all. Rod 3 had the most play (although it was very little, I could see and feel it). Rod 4 had a very small amount of movement (I couldn't feel it but could only see the oil squeezing out when it did move). I have a video of it that I will post.

So what should I do from here? I've never checked any bearings with shims before. Is it necessary to do in my case?

Front Main:

Center Main:

Rear Main:

#1 Rod:

#2 Rod:

#3 Rod:

#4 Rod:

Shims found:

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote