View Single Post
Old 12-19-2020, 01:06 PM   #49
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: possible interest in another new restoration project? '40 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
As Mart said....
DD, I'm sure you know... 59A (46-48) breaks down to "5" for the year it was released for production (1945), and to "9", meaning a Merc part number. So... what Mart said. And, I know you already know all this useless info. Grin
Hey bobH and Mart.....Yeah guys, I do KNOW! That's why I stuck the popcorn in the post. Yet, my point was to bring attention to the past 70 years or so of guys finding the need to embellish their ride's status by making note that their engine was a '48 Merc, like the Merc (in the case of THIS time period) was somehow superior to a '46, '47 or '48 FORD engine. It would be difficult to find more than a mere handful of flathead-powered hot rods or customs in the MANY magazines published in the '50s and early '60s that weren't "equipped" with the requisite '48 Merc mill! Thinking further about it, there must have been one hell of a lot of worthless, engineless 1948 Mercury carcasses sitting around in fields and junkyards. Thanks, you's two! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote