View Single Post
Old 01-24-2021, 11:30 AM   #982
rust runner

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

My story starts in 1961.I was 15 and a good friend was 16. He went out and bought a 1931 2dr sedan, running, driving and road worthy. He taught me how to drive it in his parents long driveway, first with him riding shotgun and after he figured i was ok with it, by myself. I rode to school and back home with him until i got to be 16 and got my license. He then goes out and buys another 31 2drbut in much better shape. He drives the better one and he lets me drive the other one all over town. Good times for a couple of years, but he totaled the better one, quit school and went in to the Navy. Before he left, he put the first 2dr into storage in his dads garage. When he got out of the Navy he started collecting old cars and putting them around an old farmhouse with an old wood floored barn. He moved the 2dr into the barn where it sat until the town started getting onto him about all the cars on the property. He bought property about 30 miles away with no zoning and had it cleared. Built a house and garage and started moving his hoard of cars to it, including the 2dr, which he put into an old 40 some odd foot trailer. It sits inside this dry trailer to this very day. I had moved away but kept in touch with him. This last May when talking to him he says" i'm having my will made up and i need your address and phone number because if i die first i want to leave the 2dr to you. But if you die first you don't get it."Didn't know what to say to him other than thanks for thinking of me. This past October he calls me and say's he's dying from cancer. Doctors gave him 5 days to 5 weeks. Over the years he has been buying and selling pre 70 cars and parts with approx. 1300 cars in his yard. He then tells me he want to leave me his grandmothers 67 Barracuda Formula Convert that he's had in a storage trailer since the early 70's. I was again lost for words. He past the end of October and will have to make arrangements to get the cars picked up. He was a true friend.
rust runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)