View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 07:52 PM   #13
BillLee/Chandler, TX

Default Re: damaged piston what? why?

Engine is mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
I would expect the cylinder walls to have scratches as well. Material / debris broken off of that stuck oil control ring is a likely culprit. I have seen this type of failure in an engine that sat idle for a long time, and was started with dry cylinder walls.
There is NO cylinder wall damage. Pictures below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonlll View Post
My guess is that something sneaked in through a plug hole and did the damage. I bet the head has some witness marks.
No damage above oil ring. no damage on top of piston. No damage in head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
It could have been many things incld a radiator issue. Take everything to a knowledgable place to determine the cause.
I suspect Ken is sufficiently "knowledgable".

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Miller View Post
I would say to close of a fit in the cylinder or to much slug around bore in the block. It was caused by to much heat. Maybe slow timing.
This engine was built by Berts in 1986. It has just under 6,000 miles. It has been hot in the past, but that has been solved for the past couple of years I have owned it. The other three pistons are perfect, and all four cylinders as well. No apparent problems before this showed up on my drive home from Ken's. The engine ran well and was at normal temperature all of that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
It appears that it was seizing. Did the engine get hot? Was the piston dry when you pulled it? Did you ensure the pistons were re-installed in the same hole they came out of? Is there any metal transfer to the cylinder wall from the piston?

No, it did not get hot. No, the piston was not dry when removed. The first tear-down that Ken mentioned was only to replace gaskets and main bearing seals. The pistons were not removed at any time, hence could not have been put back improperly. As noted above, there is NO damage to the cylinder walls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
I can't see anything going down the spark plug hole and getting past the compression rings to do that on both sides of the skirt but who knows??

Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aonemarine View Post
Was it just gasket replacement or did you pop in a fresh set or rings while you were in there?
Only gaskets.

One suggestion from another of my local knowledgeable friends was a possible stuck wrist pin. We were looking closely at that when we removed the pistons and found no indication that that was the cause. The rod moved easily on the pin as well as the pin moving in the piston, completely equivalent to the other three pistons. There was no excess movement.

Regards,

Bill Lee

Photos show one of the other pistons, and the #3 cylinder. Very hard to get a decent picture of the cylinder, and it does not show well that there is NO damage in that cylinder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_7942A.jpg (34.8 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_7933A.jpg (80.5 KB, 190 views)