View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 09:31 AM   #1
kenparker

Default damaged piston what? why?

I am posting these questions for my friend and fellow Model A'er and FB'er? Hope he doesn't get mad at me.
Couple months ago we tore his engine down to find out why there was a major oil leak - front and rear. Turned out to be bad gaskets and seals. While into the engine we check all the clearances and they were sopt on .0015 to .00175. Replaced all gaskets and reinstalled his engine and adjusted the valves while we were into it. good news NO LEAKS.

Next chapter. On his way home in his A - about 15 miles, His engine started a loud clikcking noise. Like a loud chirping criket. Noise was coming from the center of the block as in # 2 or 3 cyl. Again, his engine came out of the car yesterday and we started tearing it apart to fine the cause of the chirping.

Discovery. Severe scraping on the side of #3 piston. See picture below. Two pictures showing each side of the piston. Also the Oil Ring was stuck - as in it would not rotate in its groove - and had to be puled out with pliers. The scraping had damaged the goove to the point it had wedged the oil ring in its groove.

Question to you engine gurus? What would have caused this damage? The engine was making no unessary noises before the first tear down.

Inquiring minds need to know. ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bills piston 1.jpg (44.0 KB, 295 views)
File Type: jpg bills piston 2.jpg (39.8 KB, 270 views)
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote