View Single Post
Old 09-07-2014, 09:17 PM   #12
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Sears/Roebuck Overhaul

What I have been told to do and have done with the 4 ring pistons is to leave the third from the top ring off. The bottom ring is the oil ring and the three ring , ring sets fit the four ring pistons good. New three ring pistons would be better and would probably be lighter. The two engines that I overhauled with four ring pistons had already been run for years but the pistons were still in usable shape. I decided to save some money and try the four ring pistons with three rings and they worked out ok. I've still got both of them but am not running either one at this time. The second engine with four ring pistons is the one pictured above with the F3 head and B water pump .It also has a B cam and would wind up to a high pitch when I run it in an early 30 AA truck. It would easily run over fifty miles an hour with a load of rough lumber in my old AA. When I sold the truck I kept the july 1930 engine above and let the numbers matching engine go with the truck. When I got my roadster, I had planned on putting that engine in it untill I discovered the roadster had a matching numbers engine so I overhauled and used it instead.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote