View Single Post
Old 07-05-2020, 08:45 AM   #18
eagle

Default Re: Radiator Overheating

Many people still use tap water for their radiators, this is where it leads. A couple things to be aware of, you probably already know this: 1. Advance timing as much as possible until you hear it ping then retard just until the ping stops. Pay attention to pulling a hill, don't let it ping. However, don't retard it too far, it will overheat and won't have good power. 2. Run the coolant just high enough in the radiator to cover the tubes. 3. Use distilled or RO water. I always use 50/50 antifreeze, your choice, but it NEEDS some sort of rust inhibitor. 4. If the radiator is plugged and doesn't clean out readily with a good flushing solution, replace it. It will be marginal at best. 5. Your use of a coolant filter is a great idea, especially with a new radiator. A new radiator won't work if it's all plugged up. 6. (this is advice for ALL repairs, and I don't heed it myself as often as I should) Don't be cheap! Don't FIX it, RESTORE it. Every repair should be brought back to original specs.

Last edited by eagle; 07-05-2020 at 08:53 AM.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote